Monday, November 17, 2008

Buying contact lenses

So buying contact lenses would seem to be fairly straight forward. I started wearing contacts in 1989 and every time I needed to replenish my contacts I would need to go to the Optometrist, get my eyes checked and get a contact lens fitting. Then I would get a prescription and get it filled. When Pam and I were home in October, I did not make it to the Dr.'s office to get new contacts. This meant that I needed to get my contacts in Germany.

When I got a new pair of glasses here in Germany I ran into a small roadblock because I had worn my contacts in and they needed me to have my contacts out for 12 hours before getting them checked. So, when I headed to the eye glass store (Optiker) I went without putting my lenses in.

When I got there I explained that I needed new contacts and they took my glasses, determined my diopter (-3.25) in both eyes as expected. He went into the back and brought out a box of contacts. Just like that I had new contacts. Instead of spending $170 for a years worth of contacts and an eye exam, $36 euro and I had 6 months worth of contacts.

No comments: