Monday, August 4, 2008

Ryan's Graduation

On Thursday May 22nd I spoke with my mother who told me that after Ryan’s Graduation there was a dinner being planned with the family of, Tahra, Ryan’s girlfriend. I really felt that I should go. I checked out the cost of flying and found a good flight. I purchased my ticket and was to fly home on Wednesday May 28nd. I called Mom and made my reservation at che’ Mom. I also made arrangements to have dinner at my Uncle Pete’s that Thursday night.
I arrived in Philly Wednesday afternoon and Mom met me at the Airport. We took a taxi back into town as I had two suit cases, one which was completely empty and was so I could bring stuff back to Germany. I got settled in and relaxed and then walked up to the train to go to Pete’s where he would meet me at the station in Media.
We arrived at their house and was greeted by Ranger, the Puppy who I had met the once when he was only a few months old. Ranger did not remember me and started barking (which is about all a Lab will do) until Vader and Bruno came up to me sniffing and licking, obviously pleased to see me. We had a very nice dinner and a pleasant evening together and was returned to the station for the train back into town.
Sam, Mom and I got up early on Saturday and headed out to Delaware for Ryan’s graduation. As we ran into traffic exiting from I-95, Mom received a call from David (my Brother) asking where we were and telling us where he was sitting. When we arrived at the stadium, the Graduates were seated but none of the speeches had started yet. As were walking up the stairs to seats, David grabbed my arm and said, “Aren’t you in the wrong country?”
Following the main ceremony, Ryan went directly to his departmental ceremony. Mom, Sam and I walked over to the building where the graduates were already at their seats waiting for the signal to sit down. Ryan had obviously been one of the last graduates in line as he was sitting in the very last row on the aisle. Sam spotted him first and she and I walked towards him. His expression when he saw me was priceless.
After the graduation we went to dinner with the Silberstein’s and Tahra’s family. There were a lot of proud parents and grandparents around the table. I sat across from Tahra’s father,Tim and we had a very nice conversation.
It was quite a nice trip home. I got to see lots of people and do lots of things and totally surprised most of my family with my trip home.

No comments: